The following projects are a selection of recent projects that consulting engineer Peter Lumley has undertaken. For more information on past projects please choose the link below.
List of relevant projects:-
Since 1996 has carried out over 150 site surveys of offshore and onshore oil/gas production and processing facilities (LNG, NGL and LPG separation), refineries (with sulphur recovery units), petrochemical plants. Work undertaken included design reviews and operation and maintenance cost analyses as part of the annual benchmarking studies. Crude oil and petroleum products storage facilities include over 50 marine storage and loading facilities worldwide. Refineries have included all of PEMEX (Mexico) that represents 5% of global refining capacity. Pipelines have included some of the largest pipelines in the world:-Trans- Alaska pipeline, BP’s BTC pipeline Azerbaijan to Turkey, BP`s Forties pipeline system and Destin pipeline in Gulf of Mexico.
Facilities at BP, ExxonMobil, ConocoPhillips, Agip, Statoil, Norsk Hydro, Dong, OMV, Nerefco,Williams Field Services, BHP, Qatar Petroleum, ADMA OPCO (Abu Dhabi), PDO, Woodside Petroleum, Petrofac, Sasol, NIOC (Iran), NCSP/ Dinh Co. (Vietnam), PEMEX (Mexico), British Gas, and Shell.
Technical review of facilities including use of CHP steam and power generation at the soda ash plant, Nantwich on behalf of Tata Chemicals Europe Ltd.
Technical audit of the FEED and detailed design on the upgrading of the Pavlodar Refinery on behalf of Rominserv SRL, Romania.
Review of piping design, 3-D model and isometrics in respect of claimed design and construction defects and remediation costs on behalf of HFL, Manchester.
Review of over 100 variation claims and quantum on behalf of the JGCS Consortium, in respect to the NSRP new refinery in Vietnam, requiring review of preferential design development comments in regard to HAZOP studies and 3-D models.
Technical audit and quantum on design changes, cost overrun by a contractor on produced water filtration skids on an offshore gas processing facility. Required review of preferential design development comments in regard to HAZOP studies, 3-D models and fabrication isometrics.
Reviewed design of LPG/NGL gas refinery in Iran and gave advice on process operating scenarios.
Consultancy advice on piping construction and commissioning of high pressure steam piping at a Biomass CHP power plant.
Review and advice on a Gasholder designed to API620 /BS14015 for a major steel mill in Brazil on behalf of Ferrostaal, Essen, Germany.
Investigated design and material non-compliances in design and supply of 100 ball valves (6 inch through 20 inch ) for four (total 1400 MW) HRSG steam boilers (steam pressure 104 bar, temperature 565° C) dual fuel natural gas/fuel oil for the Dubai Electricity and Water Authority Power and Desalination Station. Work included FMEA (failure mode and effects analysis) and compliance with ISO 9002 procedures of non- destructive testing of castings for valve bodies..
Reviewed valve and piping specifications and insulation specifications for cryogenic storage and pipe work at South Hook LNG terminal on behalf of CB&I John Brown.
Review and update piping standards for GlaxoSmithKline including advice on material compatibility and insulation specifications and installation.
Feasibility study including project capital and operating cost estimates for gas pipeline and gas conditioning units and specification for supply of new CCGT power station in Nigeria on behalf PKF accountants. Work included interviewing government ministers on energy supply strategy and the market for private investment on new CCGT plants to overcome electric supply shortages in Nigeria.
Prepared techno-economic feasibility study, including capital and operating cost estimates, and basic engineering design for 40,000 tonne per annum citric acid plant in Saudi Arabia on behalf the private sector client. Work included provision of all utilities including ultra pure filtration for water treatment, demineralisation plant and effluent treatment plant.
Review of basic design and operational costs for proposed GATE LNG terminal and storage facilities in Rotterdam on of behalf of Gasunie
2006 – 2008
Undertook benchmarking cost analysis for the European Gas Transmission Initiative for all gas pipelines and storage facilities (both above ground and belowground) in Europe. The project required review and analysis of all operating and maintenance costs for pipeline systems, compressor stations and storage facilities for National Grid (UK), BGE (Eire), BEB (Germany), Enagas (Spain), Energinet (Denmark), Gassum (Finland), Gasunie (Holland), GRT gaz (France), OMV (Austria), Snam Rete Gas (Italy).
Preparation of 20 valuations on behalf of the Kosovo Trust Agency for a variety of industrial process plants in advance of their privatisation.
Carried out technical audits of operating and maintenance costs for PEMEX, the Mexican state owned oil company including all their refineries (including sulphur recovery units and LPG production and storage). The refining capacity represents 5% of global refining capacity.
Preparation of due diligence report including review of the basic design and selection of equipment, valves and piping for a mini refinery in Russia on behalf of PKF accountants including assessment of proposed design of water treatment and effluent treatment facilities
Preparation of the valuation of a cement process plant in Sudan on behalf PKF accountants, London.
On behalf of Brunner Mond, Northwich, undertook an analysis of manning levels and production costs at its 4 Soda Ash plant together with the neighbouring Ineos sodium chloride plant
Preparation of the design audit and due diligence report for loan for the expansion of ammonia production and storage facilities at a fertiliser plant including including review of cryogenic process plant and storage facilities and enhanced capacity of water treatment and effluent treatment facilities. Identified and prequalified prospective contractors – Client-ACHEMA fertiliser factory, Lithuania.
Preparation of study on behalf of HRL (British Gas) on equipment maintenance and manning levels on the central production complex CPC1 (with main compression modules) and 5 further remote platforms DP3/4/6/8 and Calder – not normally manned in the South Field together with the North Field production and drilling platforms comprising the Morecambe Bay development with a capacity of 60 million cubic metres of gas per day (15% of UK peak gas demand).
Team leader of a survey to review the technical and financial performance of the Cyprus Refinery Ltd on behalf or a potential purchaser. Work included environmental assessment including evaluation of water treatment and effluent treatment facilities.
Preparation of basic design and international bid documents, including preparation of detailed capital and operating estimates, for $300 million extension to the Mugher cement plant, Ethiopia. Work included environmental assessment including evaluation of water treatment and effluent treatment facilities. Client- The Government of Ethiopia.
Preparation of capital and operating cost estimates on behalf of BP for the future phases of developments in Azerbaijan in the Shah Deniz gas liquids (LPG and NGL) cryogenic separation and storage facilities.
Team leader for the preparation of feasibility study, including capital and operating cost estimates, into a 300,000 tonnes per annum polypropylene plant in Saudi Arabia on behalf of the Kannoo Group, Bahrain. Work included environmental assessment including 5 evaluation of water treatment and effluent treatment facilities.
Undertook design audit and subsequent negotiations with contractors, reviewed international forms of model contract and advised on program schedules and cost estimates for ACHEMA fertiliser plant Lithuania – $100M extension requiring two new main air compressors and air separation plant and new ammonia storage tank- Client The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD).
Carried out full technical and financial audit of the NAFCON plant at Port Harcourt on behalf of the NAFCON Executive Management Team and potential external investors. Carried out in-depth site audit of financial controls and production efficiencies with recommendations for plant modifications to improve efficiencies. Conducted in-depth discussions with Kellogg who were the local management contractor.
Prepared basic design, project cost estimates, international bid documents (FIDIC orange book) and negotiated with contractors for the turnkey build of a $60 million glass bottle factory in Eritrea. Work included environmental assessment including evaluation of water treatment and effluent treatment facilities.
Analysed process operating problems with the cryogenic turbo expander modules at Total St Fergus Gas Separation Plant. The work included review of operation of cryogenic turbo expander for gas liquid separation Identified problems arising from not operating in dense phase in offshore incoming pipeline and the resultant lack of LPG and NGL cuts available for sale.
Project manager for the contractor on the turnkey design, procurement, construction and commissioning of $50M cotton ginning factory in Mali West Africa. Carried out all detailed design and procurement from Manderstam office. Work included environmental assessment including evaluation of water treatment and 6 effluent treatment facilities – Client Wallace O’Connor Engineers and Contractors.
Project manager for EPC turnkey, design, purchase, construction and commissioning of extension to styrene monomer storage facilities including contractor supervision at Huntsman, Manchester. Manderstam acted as main contractor and performed all basic and detailed design, procurement, logistics, site supervision and commissioning of works.
Project manager (on behalf of the owner) of new vegetable oil refinery in Damman, Saudi Arabia including client liaison, cost control, design approvals and site supervision of contractor during construction and commissioning.
Team leader on feasibility studies into port access and loading jetty layouts for urea storage, transfer and ship loading on behalf of GPIC. Subsequently carried out on behalf of GPIC the conceptual design, bid documentation and project management support services for the new Urea plant constructed by a Japanese contractor.
Project manager (on behalf of the contractor) for detailed design, procurement, construction and commissioning of 20km NB offshore wet sour gas pipeline and onshore gas treatment and storage facilities (including the design of water treatment and effluent treatment facilities) in Qatar to BP Standards and Codes of Practice.
Carried out HAZOP study on behalf of Exxon Mobil at the Fawley refinery.
Project manager/ design engineer for the following projects which included writing the contractor bid documents, mechanical specifications, procurement and site supervision or construction and commissioning for the following projects,:-
- Mods and revamp to LPG/NGL loading jetty at LPG/NGL plant. Messaid including review and specification of cryogenic insulation for jetty pipelines and loading arms
- Specified, purchased and commissioned reverse osmosis water treatment unit.
- New gas booster compressor at LPG/NGL plant in Qatar. .
- Wet sour gas pipeline pig launching/receiving plant in Qatar.
- Offshore/onshore 24″ gas and 12″ liquid pipelines, 4″ NGL condensate pipeline
- Redesign of oil storage tank farm and the specification and procurement of two new crude oil storage tanks.
Other projects included:
- Process evaluation of C3 recovery scheme at NGL plant;
- Dagnosis of crude oil loading pump problems in Qatar (requiring special investigation into the behaviour of dissolved gases in crude oil). -;
- Evaluation of various design aspects of water re- injection scheme including Pipenet simulations and choke evaluations for rejecting water in depleted gasfield,
- Design and specification of two new wet sour gas dehydration units, firewater system for NGL plant, and new sour gas well head treatment plants.
Examples Of Other Recent Experience In Quality Control and Manufacturing Systems:-
- Investigated design and material non-compliances in design and supply of 100 ball valves (6 inch through 20 inch ) for four (total 1400 MW) HRSG steam boilers (steam pressure 104 bar, temperature 565° C) dual fuel natural gas/fuel oil supplied for the Dubai Electricity and Water Authority Power and Desalination Station (phases I and 2). Work included FMEA (failure mode and effects analysis) and compliance with ISO 9002 procedures of non-destructive testing of castings for valve bodies..
- Reviewed valve and piping specifications and insulation specifications for cryogenic pipe work at South Hook LNG terminal on behalf of CB&I John Brown.
- Undertook review of Glaxo SmithKline Beecham’s piping standards in regard to material compatibility and corrosion in respect to 122 fluids in contact with carbon steels, stainless steels and plastics.
- Review and advice on a Gasholder designed to API620 /BS14015 for a major steel mill in Brazil on behalf of Ferrostaal, Essen, Germany.
- Undertook plant condition survey and prepared valuation of electroplating plant in Kosovo on behalf the Kosovo Trust Agency.
- Consultancy advice on high pressure steam piping construction and commissioning at a Biomass CHP power plant on behalf of RWE, Germany
- Prepared manufacturing profiles, including comprehensive quality control requirements, tooling specifications on the following manufacturing processes on behalf of United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO):-
- Rubber hoses for automotive replacement markets
- V Belts for automotive replacement markets
- Vehicle battery recycling
- Melamine formaldehyde plastic laminates including production moulds
- Light aluminium extrusions
- PVC sheeting
- Prepared feasibility study for the production of cement products and ceramic tiles for the building industry on behalf of the government of Eritrea.
- Prepared feasibility study for plastic injection moulding including provision of all production moulds on behalf of the EBRD in Kosovo.
- Car automobile scrap reclamation using electrolytic reclamation, Saudi Arabia – Basic Design and project management.
- Technical audit of coating systems for washing machine manufacture in Dalian, China
- Technical audit of Sheet Metalwork at Datine Mercantile Limited, Nairobi, Kenya on behalf of the Development Finance Corporation, London.
- Aluminium Smelting Plant, Ghana – Design and Execution
- Steel Production – Electric Arc, Nigeria – Design and project management
- Technical audit of the production of small electric motors, China.
- Technical audit of the production automobile batteries, Egypt.
- Technical audit of the manufacture of PVC Sheeting and Coatings at Sera Coatings Limited, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Technical audit of the production of cardboard packaging machines at Bucklips Packaging Limited, Aura, Ghana.
- Technical audit of the manufacture of latex rubber gloves at Tulip Industries Limited, Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire.
- Upgrading PVC manufacturing plant to meet export requirements – ALCHIM – Romania.
- Technical audit of steel pipe manufacture, Shoudu, China
- Prepared manufacturing profile for the production of plastic pipe and fittings in Abu Dhabi on behalf of UAE Government.
- Prepared manufacturing profile for the production of plastic pipe and fittings in Eritrea, East Africa on behalf of the Government of Eritrea.
- Expensive metal processing at Sichuan, China
- Nd-Fe-P alloy production at Bantou, China
Plant & Equipment
Recent Experience In Machinery Equipment and Plant Valuation:-
Preparation of basic design and international bid documents, including preparation of detailed capital and operating estimates, for $300 million extension to the Mugher cement plant, Ethiopia. Work included environmental assessment including evaluation of water treatment and effluent treatment facilities. Client-The Government of Ethiopia.
Technical, economic and market feasibility studies on behalf of the World Bank.
- Techno-economic Feasibility Study on Proposed Expansion of a Vegetable Oil and Soap Plant at Appiah-Menka Complex Limited, Ghana.
- Techno-economic Feasibility Study on Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Plant for Intravenous Infusion Solutions and Automatic Packaging Systems at Oron, Akwa and Ibom State, Nigeria.
- Paper Packaging at Highland Paper Mills, Eldoret, Kenya.
- Pharmaceuticals at Pharmivoire Limited, Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire.
- Cardboard Packaging at Bucklips Packaging Limited, Aura, Ghana.
- Latex Rubber Gloves and packaging at Tulip Industries Limited, Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire.
Slovakia – Agricultural micropropagation unit for potatoes.
Ireland – Single cell protein production.
Ghana – Jute processing.