Completed ProjectsThe following projects are a selection of recent projects that consulting engineer Peter Lumley has undertaken. For more information on past projects please choose the link below. Projects 1981-1999 List of recent projects in the field of process plant design, manufacture and quality control:
Examples Of Other Recent Experience In Quality Control and Manufacturing Systems:-
Since 1996 has carried out over 150 site surveys of offshore and onshore oil/gas production and processing facilities, refineries and storage/ loading facilities and pipelines in respect to design reviews and operation and maintenance analyses as part of the annual benchmarking studies. The work in refineries included the 7 PEMEX Mexican refineries (representing 5% of global refining capacity). Pipelines have included some of the largest pipelines in the world:-Trans-Alaska pipeline, BP’s BTC pipeline Azerbaijan to Turkey, BP`s Forties pipeline system and Destin pipeline in Gulf of Mexico. Clients BP, ExxonMobil, ConocoPhillips, Agip, Statoil, Norsk Hydro, Dong, Williams Field Services, BHP, Qatar Petroleum, ADMA OPCO (Abu Dhabi), PDO (Oman), Woodside Petroleum, Sasol, PEMEX (Mexico), British Gas, and Shell.
Investigated design and material non-compliances in the turnkey design and supply of four (total 1400 MW) HRSG steam boilers (steam pressure 104 bar, temperature 565° C) dual fuel natural gas/fuel oil supplied by NEM, Holland for the Dubai Electricity and Water Authority Power and Desalination Station (phases I and 2). Work included FMEA (failure mode and effects analysis) and compliance with ISO 9002 procedures of non-destructive testing of tubes and castings. Also review and analysis of support structures.
Review of design and materials of construction of titanium tubed overhead condensers (sea water/ethylene) at the Borealis petrochemical plant at Stenungsund, Sweden. Work included calculation of heat transfer, erosion corrosion failure mechanism and flow patterns through the tube bundles.
Investigation of failed stainless steel fuel tanks for Jaguar cars including metallurgical examination, manufacturing processes and compliance with ISO 9002.
Reviewed valve and piping specifications and insulation specifications for cryogenic pipework at South Hook LNG terminal on behalf of CB&I John Brown.
Review and update valve and piping standards for GlaxoSmithKline including advice on material compatibility and susceptibility to corrosion.
Technical and market audit of the production of aluminium and aluminium composite conductors and wire at Alutrint, Trinidad.
Preparation of basic design for 2000 MW gas-fired power station at Apakin, in the Lekki corridor, 80 kms from Lagos including outline design of all pipeline and gas conditioning units.
Preparation of the basic design, including preparation of basic specifications for valves and piping, for a 20,000 tonnes per annum citric acid plant in Saudi Arabia.
Review of basic design and operational costs for proposed GATE LNG terminal and storage facilities in Rotterdam on of behalf of Gasunie.
2006 – 2008
Undertook benchmarking analysis for the European Gas Transmission Initiative for all sales gas distribution and storage systems (both above ground and belowground) in Europe. The project required review and analysis of all pipeline systems, compressor stations and storage facilities for National Grid (UK), BGE (Eire), BEB (Germany), Enagas (Spain), Energinet (Denmark), Gassum (Finland), Gasunie (Holland), GRT gaz (France), OMV (Austria), Snam Rete Gas (Italy).
Preparation of due diligence report including review of the basic design and selection of equipment, valves and piping for a mini refinery in Russia on behalf PKF accountants.
Undertook plant and equipment valuations at 24 manufacturing companies in Kosovo on the behalf of the EU in preparation for large-scale privatisation tenders. Companies range from hot and cold strip mills, fabrication shops, plastic injection moulding companies, anodising and finishing plants, machine shops and the flour mill.
Preparation of valuation of cement process plant in Sudan on behalf PKF accountants.
Site survey and design audit and preparation of due diligence report for $80m loan for the expansion of ammonia production and storage facilities at a fertiliser plant including including review of cryogenic process plant and storage facilities and all utilities, including steam generation and air separation. Identified and prequalified prospective contractors – Client-ACHEMA fertiliser factory, Lithuania.
2003 – 2004
Carried out technical audits of PEMEX, the Mexican state owned oil company including all their refineries (including LPG production and storage). The refining capacity represents 5% of global refining capacity.
2003 – 2004
Preparation of study on behalf of HRL (British Gas) on equipment maintenance and manning levels on the central production complex CPC1 (with main compression modules) and 5 further remote platforms DP3/4/6/8 and Calder – not normally manned in the South Field together with the North Field production and drilling platforms comprising the Morecambe Bay development with a capacity of 60 million cubic metres of gas per day (15% of UK peak gas demand).
Team leader of a survey to review the technical and financial performance of the Cyprus Refinery Ltd on behalf of a potential purchaser.
2000 – 2003
Preparation of international bid documents, including preparation of detailed capital and operating estimates, for $300 million extension to the Mugher cement plant, Ethiopia. Client-The Government of Ethiopia.
Preparation of capital and operating cost estimates on behalf of BP for the future phases of developments in Azerbaijan in the Shah Deniz gas liquids cryogenic separation and storage facilities.
Team leader for the preparation of feasibility study for a 300,000 tonnes per annum polypropylene plant in Saudi Arabia on behalf of the Kannoo Group, Bahrain.
- Prepared manufacturing profiles, including comprehensive quality control requirements, tooling specifications on the following manufacturing processes on behalf of United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO):-
- Rubber hoses for automotive replacement markets
- V Belts for automotive replacement markets
- Vehicle battery recycling
- Melamine formaldehyde plastic laminates
- Light aluminium extrusions
- PVC sheeting
- Car automobile scrap reclamation using electrolytic reclamation, Saudi Arabia – Basic Design and project management.
- Technical audit for IFC/World Bank of washing machine manufacture in Dalian, China
- Technical audit of Sheet Metalwork at Datine Mercantile Limited, Nairobi, Kenya on behalf of the Development Finance Corporation, London.
- Aluminium Smelting Plant, Ghana – Design and Execution
- Steel Production – Electric Arc, Nigeria – Design and project management
- Technical audit of the production of small electric motors, China.
- Technical audit of the production automobile batteries, Egypt..
- Technical audit of the production of cardboard packaging machines at Bucklips Packaging Limited, Aura, Ghana.
- Technical audit of steel pipe manufacture, Shoudu, China
- Expensive metal processing at Sichuan, China
- Magnetic materials Nd-Fe-P alloy production at Bantou, China.
- Technical audit for IFC/World Bank of the manufacture of latex rubber gloves at Tulip Industries Limited, Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire.
- Technical audit for IFC/World Bank of the manufacture of PVC Sheeting and Coatings at Sera Coatings Limited, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Prepared manufacturing profile for the production of plastic pipe and fittings in Abu Dhabi on behalf of UAE Government
- Upgrading PVC manufacturing plant to meet export requirements – ALCHIM – Romania.
- Prepared manufacturing profile for the production of plastic pipe and fittings in Eritrea, East Africa on behalf of the Government of Eritrea.